A property renovation company in the US operated a monolithic application built on the .NET framework, incorporating a few external integrations for payment and mobile support. Operating on a limited infrastructure, they aimed to avoid significant expenditure. However, faced with a substantial increase in order volume and reporting demands, the application experienced a 3X surge in load, leading to performance deterioration. The challenges manifested as:
- Increased Latency
- Connection pool issues
- Database Overload
- Storage Capacity Concerns
- Service unavailability impacting business SLAs
While, application team started the optimization journey, it became crucial to establish proactive monitoring to facilitate preemptive actions, ensuring enhanced availability. The solution needed to be both open source and cost-effective.
Zabbix was considered as a low-cost solution primarily due to its open-source nature and several factors that contribute to minimizing the total cost of ownership (TCO).
Outcome and Benefit:
- Provided real-time visibility which helped in identification of load patterns.
- Helped detecting memory leakage and I/O-related issues.
- Early detection of anomalies due to alerting mechanism.
- Achieved higher availability with automation and remediation.
- Identified slow queries and resolution.
- Helped achieve proactive capacity planning.